City of Morenci Elections

 The City Administrator / Clerk oversees all elections conducted in the City of Morenci.

Election results can be viewed at Election Lenawee.
Michigan complete voting laws are managed by the Michigan Secretary of State.


How do I know if am eligible to register to vote?
You can register to vote if:
1. You are a citizen of the United States.
2. You are at least 18 years of age on or before the next scheduled election.
You can register at any of the following offices:
  • Secretary of State branch office
  • County Clerk's Office
  • City, Township or Village Office
You may register to vote at the aforementioned locations 15 days before an election. After that, you can register to vote at the clerk's office with proof of residency through 8:00 p.m. on Election Day and vote in that election.

How do I register to vote? 
Registrations are taken at City Hall during regular business hours.  You also register to vote at any Secretary of State Office in Michigan. .  Please call (888)767-6424 to locate a branch near you or visit:  Michigan Secretary of State Offices website  You may register to vote anytime and vote in an election, including through 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. 
Where do I vote?
The City of Morenci has one voting poll and it is located at City Hall.  Your voting poll is also shown on your voter ID card. Please contact the Clerk's Office (517)458-6828 or visit  Michigan Voter Information Center to learn where your voting poll is.

How do I vote when I am overseas with the military?
A Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) form can be used to register to vote.  The FPCA form is available at and is distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases.  A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she re-establishes residency here.    A military voter can use an FPCA or electronically apply for a absentee ballot with the Secretary of State Bureau of Elections Web site.

How do I obtain an absentee ballot?
There is an application process to obtain an absentee ballot.  Applications are available here: Secretary of State Bureau of Elections Website or by calling our office at (517)458-6828.  No requirement is needed for a absentee ballot. All registered voters may vote with an absentee ballot.

Mail your completed ballot to:

Michael S. Sessions, City Administrator / Clerk
City of Morenci
118 Orchard St
Morenci, MI  49256



Fax:  (517)458-2390


Your ballot will be mailed to any address you request the day we receive your signed application.

 The law no longer allows us to automatically mail absentee ballot applications to everyone 60 years and older. Therefore we are compiling a new mailing list.  Please call our office if you would like to be on the list at (517)458-6828.


What identification do I need to show at the polls?

New Voter Identification Requirement in Effect

As of the November 6, 2007 election, every Michigan voter who offers to vote in the polls must comply with the requirement by showing picture identification or signing an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of picture identification.  (See MCL 158.523 for picture identification requirement)

Voters with picture identification: 
Voters can satisfy the picture identification requirement by showing a Michigan driver's license or a Michigan personal identification card.

Voters who do not possess either document may show any of the following forms of picture identification as long as they are current:


  • Driver's license or personal identification card issued by another state.
  • Federal or State government issued photo identification.
  • U.S. Passport
  • Military identification card with photo.
  • Student identification with photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education.
  • Tribal identification card with photo.
Voters without picture identification:
Michigan election law anticipates that not all voters will have picture identification.  Voters who do not bring picture identification to the polls or do not possess picture identification can vote like any other voter by signing an affidavit.

Questions regarding the picture identification requirement can be directed to Clerk's Office at City Hall.

For more election related FAQs and information, please visit Michigan Department of State.

Running for Office?

Nominating petitions are available from the City Clerk's office located in Morenci City Hall. 

Petitions are filed on or before 4 p.m. on the 12th Tuesday preceding the August Primary Election for state offices, county offices and township offices. Petitions for school board candidates are filed on or before 4 p.m. on the 9th Monday before the school election.
Partisan candidates for State Senator, State Representative, County Offices and County Commission Districts may file a $100 fee in lieu of nominating petitions.
The filing fee is deposited in the general fund of the county and is refunded to candidates who are nominated.
Write-In Candidates
Candidates who wish to run as a write-in candidate must file a Declaration of Intent with the appropriate filing official by 4 p.m. on the Friday preceding the election.