The City of Morenci produces a Water Quality Report due to the state each spring.
Most Recent Report: 6/17/2013
WATER QUALITY DATA
Each year, the City is required to sample the drinking water for various contaminants. The table below lists all contaminates that were detected in 2012. The state allows us to monitor for certain contaminants less than annually because the concentrations of these contaminants are not expected to change frequently. The most recent results of these tests are also included in the table.
Terms and Abbreviations:
- Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL). The highest level of a contaminant that is allowed in drinking water. MCL’s are set as close to the MCLG’s as possible using the best available treatment technology.
- Maximum Contaminant Level Goal (MCLG). The level of a contaminant in drinking water below which there is no known or expected health risk.
- Maximum residual disinfectant level goal (MRDLG): The level of a drinking water disinfectant below which there is no known or expected risk to health. MRDLGs do not reflect the benefits of the use of disinfectants to control microbial contaminants.
- Maximum residual disinfectant level (MRDL): The highest level of a disinfectant allowed in drinking water. There is convincing evidence that addition of a disinfectant is necessary for control of microbial contaminants
- Action Level (AL). The concentration of a contaminant which, when exceeded, triggers treatment or other requirements which a water system may follow.
- pCi/L picocuries per liter ppb – parts per billion or micrograms per liter
- N/A – not applicable ppm – parts per million or millirams per liter
- ND – not detected
CONTAMINANT MCL MCLG MORENCI RANGE OF SAMPLE VIOLATION TYPICAL SOURCE WATER DETECTION DATE OF CONTAMINANT
Fluoride 4 ppm 4 ppm 1.0 ppm N/A 11/7/12 No Erosion of natural
Unregulated Contaminants and special monitoring*
Sodium N/A N/A 41 ppm N/A 11/7/12 N/A Erosion of natural
Disinfection residual monitoring
Chlorine MRDL= MRDLG= 0.8ppm 0.7-.0.8ppm Monthly No Water additive used to
4 ppm 4 ppm control microbes
Lead & Copper
Copper AL=1300 ppb 1300 ppb 107 ppb 0 of 10 homes 9/25/12 N/A Corrosion of household
exceeded the plumbing systems,
action level erosion of natural deposits
Lead AL=15 ppb 0 ppb 1.5 ppb 0 of 10 homes 9/15/12 N/A
By-products of drinking
TTHMs 10 ppb 2010 N/A water disinfection
HAA5s 3 ppb 2010 N/A By-products of drinking
*No established EPA drinking water standards. Sodium is considered special monitoring-there is no MCL associated with it. Sodium monitoring is provided for those concerned with sodium in their diet. 5.21 ppm equates to about 1.23 milligrams of sodium per 8 ounce glass of water. It is provided for individuals with particular health concerns.
Violation for 2012
We did not complete our monitoring for nitrates before the due date in 2012. Coordination has been taken within our City Administration to
Assure that further sampling is completed on a timely basis.