City of Morenci
March 12, 2020
What is the Coronavirus or COVID-19? COVID-19 is used to designate a strain of viral respiratory illness. There are several other strains studied since 2013. The COVID-19 strain has no specific antiviral treatment at this time.
· It’s a respiratory illness that spreads person-to-person in close contact (6’ radius).
· It may infect others through sneezing and coughing.
· It’s also spread by touching unclean surfaces or objects that have the virus on it and then touching their own face, eyes or mouths.
· It is unlikely you will contract the illness, unless you have traveled to affected areas, or have had recent close contact with individuals who have traveled to affected areas.
What are the possible outcomes from a COVID-19 infection? If you are sick, know that mild complications most commonly cause one to suffer Flu symptoms for up to three weeks.
· If you suspect that you are sick, then stay home except to visit healthcare providers. Please call ahead and notify them that you believe you have coronavirus so that they may take appropriate precautions.
· If you have questions, please contact your healthcare provider.
Severe complications may include either pneumonia, organ-failure or in some cases death. The elderly and/or those with underlying health conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes and lung disease are at higher risk of severe complications. If you are at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19, you should:
· Take everyday precautions to keep space between yourself and others.
· When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often.
· Avoid crowds as much as possible.
What steps should I take to protect myself and others from spreading COVID-19? If you are aware that someone is sick, then avoid close contact with them.
· Wash hands, before touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
· Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
· Avoid travelers from areas with an ongoing spread of COVID-19.
· If you have flu like symptoms or have been diagnosed with COVID-19, then remain at home and consult a healthcare professional.
What steps are the City taking in dealing with COVID-19? The City staff is practicing proper hygiene, disinfecting public surfaces, objects and door handles. The City will continue to follow the guidance of federal, state and county health departments regarding COVID-19.
What steps are the Citysuggesting to businesses in dealing with COVID-19?
The City of Morenci encourages businesses to be proactive in reducing the spread of infectious and contagious disease(s) by practicing federal, state and county health guidelines found at the CDC and Michigan Website(s).
Prevention and Treatment Information from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
State of Michigan Information